Saturday, September 17, 2005

Are you ready for some football?

This is my first blog post. Jacqui has been great at sending updates so far and I thought I'd finally get in on the hot blog action. Things here are well. Right now I'm sitting in a great coffee shop called Esquires Coffee. It's just up the street from where we've been staying and they have really good coffee and quality atmosphere. I'm currently being bombarded by an interesting mix of stimuli. First, we're sitting near an open garage door type entrance to the outside patio and I can feel the beginnings of some amazing fall air. I really like the air in the fall. There's just something about it. It's crisp. It's clear. It's delicious. I bet it's clouding heads everywhere with nice, all-American-esque thoughts like "I need to rake leaves into piles!" , "There's no apple pie like Grandma's" and "I need a puppy named Bo". It's the type of air that makes me want to work on a farm somewhere. A Cinnamon farm. A Cinnamon farm somewhere in New England. Yeah, I like fall air. The light is nice too here. It's about four o'clock here and it's getting sort of golden with nice long shadows everywhere. So on one hand I've got this nice, cozy, hot beverage, wool socks atumnal vibe happening. On the other hand I'm being lulled by the soothing strains of "Ain't no holla back girl! Ain't no holla back!" from the top 40 station the Esquires staff has chosen for this particular shift. It's an interesting mix. It makes me want to booty dance in an orchard somewhere.

In other quasi-fall thoughts, I'm going to a football game tonight. It's a professional game here in Vancouver, home of the B.C. Lions. The Lions are currently 10 and 0 and show no signs of slowing their victorious streak. According to a local friend possessing much more Canadian football league knowledge than myself "they could lose the rest of the games this season and still make the play-offs." I was instantly vicariously excited. That's the thing about most sports other than basketball--I have so little knowledge of them on my own that it's only when some one I know is rooting that I get exciting. But as they say " It only takes a spark to get a fire going" ("They" of course being a camp song I learned in 1991). Once I'm even remotely interested I often surprise myself by how much I end up caring about these teams that I previously had no interest in. Case in point: I know nothing about tennis really. I mean I know enough to fake my way through a casual conversation, but beyond that not much. Where was I July 2 this year? Sitting on a couch with my friend Dave (long time tennis enthusiast and, to follow the metaphor through, my tennis "spark") breathlessly watching the women's Wimbledon Championship. I may or may not have leapt into his lap at points. I was into it.

So, needless to say I'm feeling excited about the game tonight. All the elements are there for a good time. I'm even equipped with a little knowledge of football rules thanks to many years in close proximity to my friend Morgan. See, there are these things called downs, and punts and running backs. It's all very exciting. So off I go. I'll be sure to tell all of you about it post game.

In other thoughts Jacqui and I are doing well. We're getting excited to finally move into our new place at the end of the month. Theatre work is going well too. We start work in the Box office next week and earlier this week I had the read through for The Elephant Man, the fall play at Pacific Theatre. There's more happening but it will have to wait for a later post. I must be off to go prepare for the game-I'm still trying to get the right shade of "BC Lions orange" for my face paint. Also I need to fashion a giant styrofoam finger and I think we're all out of fresh styrofoam.

So that's all for now. We miss all of you so much and we'll post more soon!

Posted by Ryan 9/17/05

2 Comments:

At 6:09 AM, September 18, 2005, Blogger bethany said...

I've had a similar experience. I suddenly find myself caring deeply about college football. Go fig.

 
At 1:12 PM, September 19, 2005, Blogger Morgan said...

Watch out, you'll get hooked. And then you'll have your own sports blog like I do.

By the way, I hope the game went better than the NFL Lions, who got DEEstroyed by the Bears! Yeah!!! Rock ONNN!! Other MANLY THINGS!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home