Tuesday, December 05, 2006

I have a job


Earlier this fall, after earning a merit badge in job hunting, I became gainfully employed at Jeni's Ice Cream a local small business. My duties there include but are not limited to: Scooping ice cream, making delicious sundaes, keeping the shop clean, running the till, stocking large buckets of ice cream, stirring and heating various sauces until they reach their optimal "deliciousness" (a word I've picked up since being in the ice cream biz), and using small spoons laden with ice creamy "deliciousness" (See, there it is again. I had to attend a "deliciousness" conference to learn how to use it this many times with the ease of an ice cream professional) to entice customers to purchase our frozen confections.

Jeni is an actual person and she's pretty brilliant when it comes to ice cream. She refers to her wares as "modern American ice cream." Which I take to mean "sort of fancy but amazingly tasty flavors." Recently she's been getting a lot of national recognition. She's been in several national magazines, for all you TV buffs I think there's been a rumor swirling that her ice cream is going to be featured on the Tyra Banks show, and just yesterday I learned that Johnny Depp himself was having some shipped out his way. Look out world.

Here is a list of some of our top sellers: Salty Caramel, Thai Chili, Butternut Squash with Pecan Pralines, Black Coffee, Lemon and Lingonberry, Toasted Brioche with butter and jam, Creme de Violet, Sweet Banana, Star Anise with Candied Fennel Seeds. The list goes on. She usually has about 30 flavors on hand at any given time; 15 signature flavors and 15 season flavors that rotate according to what fresh ingredients are available. She also tries to use mostly local ingredients and organic stuff whenever possible which is cool. So while I don't think I'm in the ice cream biz for the long haul for now it's a pretty decent place to spend my work day.

So if you're ever in Columbus, stop by, I'll be ready with some little spoons.

1 Comments:

At 7:20 AM, December 08, 2006, Blogger Ryan said...

Violet. It's true. It sort of hard to describe what it tastes like. I really like it though. The other day Jeni said she thinks it tastes like Lucky Charms Marshmallows, which I can sort of see, but not exactly. You'll just have to come down and try some...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home