Friday, January 11, 2008

First Genuine Pet Peeve of 2008


When I've just called some sort of reception desk and the person working the desk transfers me without waiting for me to finish my sentence of explanation.



Example:


Them: Thanks for calling Rude Imporium how can I help you?

Me: Hi there. I don't know who the best person to speak with is but I think I need to get in touch with Dr. Johnathan Explodinghead. I'm calling from--

Them: JUST A MOMENT.

CLICK

and then I'm transferred.

Then after waiting for Dr. Jonathan Explodinghead's voice mail to pick up I realize that he may not have been the best person to speak with. So I now need to call that same receptionist back to try and explain my story to them yet again, praying that they won't machine gun transfer me again.

This happened 4 times yesterday when all would have been solved had the person on the other end of the line actually taken 10 more seconds to hear me out.

FRONT DESKS OF THE WORLD: MORE PATIENCE PLEASE in 2008!

3 Comments:

At 6:46 AM, January 21, 2008, Blogger Jessie said...

Can I just tell you, I read this on Friday morning and then that very the SAME thing happened to me at work! It was very frustrating. I get that most of the time they probably know what I'm about to say/need/request, but not always!

 
At 6:13 AM, January 22, 2008, Blogger Nick said...

I know exactly what you're talking about! I hope the same thing happens to these people.

 
At 11:26 AM, January 28, 2008, Blogger amandyanderson said...

I have to say as a receptionist myself, I do this a lot :( (hangs head in shame) but in my defense :) there's only 3 other possibilities for me to transfer someone to so I'm usually right, AND I can only listen to them same story about how talented someone's kid is and how they really need to be in commericals before they finally ask if we have classes....so many times...

But for all of you, I will try to be more patient and listen in 2008 :) It's a good thing to remember.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home