Sunday, October 23, 2005

The Redemption of Jacqui's Childhood: One Canuck at a Time


So, here's the exposition: when I was young, growing up in Victoria, BC one of my favourite things to do was to sit on my dad's lap and watch Hockey Night in Canada. (Yes, I know, this sounds like a ridiculously Canadian story.....so what? It's true). Usually, I would cheer for whoever was winning, but on the occasions that the Vancouver Canucks were playing, I chose to cheer solely for them. This molded me into a big Canucks fan, especially into my junior high and high school years when I was at the point where I was really understanding the game and they were at the point where they were actually going to the playoffs (quoi??). Throughout these years of fandom, my family (most often my dad and brothers) attended several (and I mean SEVERAL) games, to which I was never invited (no bitterness here). I was the one left at home brushed off with hollow promises of the movie of my choice (once again, no bitterness here). I was left in my sorrow to question my fate and yearn for the day when I, too, would be in the presence of these our heroes, the Vancouver Canucks.

Enter Ryan Hoke....now Ryan is a lovely man for many reasons but, I'm not gonna lie, the following is a big one.

A few weeks ago (yes, I realize this post is a little slow on the uptake), Ryan took me to my first ever live hockey game. Not only that, he took me to my first ever Canucks game. It was incredible. I felt as if the universe was re-aligning itself, and shalom had finally been achieved (thanks, Calvin). Ok, so maybe it wasn't THAT great, but it was pretty darn sweet.




They were playing the Oilers (Edmonton) which made for an interesting dynamic. (As a point of reference for the previous sentence, Edmonton is the next closest Canadian city that has an NHL team...and, as far as Canadian standards go, it's a fairly close city). Since we were in the nosebleeds (quite often a very fun place to be for sports games), we were surrounded not only by fellow Canucks fans but also Oilers fans. Which was so much fun. It made it more of a battle...a battle in which the Canucks slew the Oilers. The final score was 6-2, and since it was an exhibition game, there was also an arbitrary shoot-out, which the Canucks also won (3-2).

So, my previously unhockey-ed (yes, while making up this adjective I did originally write unhockeyed, but I thought that looked either too much like a lake fish, or a mutant low-class British accent) was redeemed, and as it stands now, it seems to be working out for the CanuckleHeads (yes, that is a term that circulated in my family). Perhaps Ryan has reversed a curse that was placed on the team long ago, in any case, I'm quite happy with the 'Nuckers as of late.

Go Canucks!!!


P.S. This P.S. is dedicated to Morgan T. Foster. I just wanted to take the chance to celebrate with you, the Canucks victory over Detroit......and maybe rub it in a little that they also beat the Blackhawks......mwahahaha

2 Comments:

At 6:52 AM, October 24, 2005, Blogger Morgan said...

Yeah, you guys kicked our ass something fierce. Ouch. I was all ready to post something on my website rubbing it in your face, but since I am a Chicago fan, I should have known better.

However, I am SOO happy you got to go to that game and enjoy yourself. Sounds like a blast. We'll have to try to go to a game when I come out there in the spring.

 
At 11:39 AM, October 24, 2005, Blogger Karl Boettcher said...

Hockey was designed by God to be watched live. We used to go to see a minor league team, The Hershey Bears in Hershey PA, (yes the chocolate is from there) It was a blast, I really miss it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home