Thursday, November 03, 2005

Commercially Speaking

Recently I've seen the silliest commercial for toilet paper. It's a Charmin commercial and their mascot is this family of bears (well perhaps they're not related. I wouldn't want to assume. Let's say this COMMUNITY of bears to be safe). Have you seen this line of commercials? The bears are all sort of pastel and fluffy and soft edged. Anyway I think the point of this particular commercial was to introduce Charmin's new line of paper that has some sort of special "cleansers" woven into the paper or something. I can't even really imagine how this would work, but the tag line in the commercial is something like "Are you having TROUBLE feeling your absolute CLEANEST?"

Anyway this isn't necessarily the weird part. The weird part is when they're showing the bear before he gets the miracle paper. The part where they're showing him being frustrated with everything ELSE he's tried to get his absolute CLEANEST. Everything is going fairly normally when suddenly they cut to a shot of the bear with a huge car wash style roller brush attached to his butt. The roller is spinning like crazy and bear is wearing the most uncomfortable, dissatisfied look on his animated face I've ever seen. This is so silly! I laugh every time I see it. I'd have loved to have been in the meeting where that marketing decision got made. "Yeah, yeah the bears are really working for us. I like them. Hmmm, but I think...yeah I think we're missing something...Hey...Hey! Let's attach a HUGE rolling scrubber to his butt!" and how'd you like to be the animator who's burning the midnight oil to finalize the last touches on the bears uncomfortable grimace? This is simply advertising at its best.

4 Comments:

At 2:06 PM, November 03, 2005, Blogger Karl Boettcher said...

I always come away from those commercials feeling like I should be wiping with the bears. They look very soft, and the commercial seems to be telling me something about wiping. I think maybe it's a little to high concept for me. I end up feeling guilty that I want to wipe with a teddy bear, like there something wrong with me. Just to be clear, I am not a teddy wiper, just very suggestable and confused by TV.

 
At 3:03 PM, November 07, 2005, Blogger Beth said...

Ok, so Nick and I are pretty well convinced that these commercials stemmed from a late-night brainstorming session, when everyone was getting a little silly and slap-happy...and, suddenly, someone says "Does a bear s**t in the woods?" and little lightbulbs blink on above everyone's heads.

Because, essentially, the commercials answer that question.

"Yes, Virginia, bears DO s**t in the woods...and then wipe themselves with Charmin."

 
At 9:01 PM, November 10, 2005, Blogger RZ said...

okay, so I just got on board here with the Jacqui & Ryan blog. I've only read this first post about the Charmin bears and I have to say, you've made me into a regular reader now. I look forward to catching up. Don't the charmin bears also go to the bathroom near trees, and then the roll of toilet paper hangs oh-so-properly on some supiciously situated 90-degree angled branch? I love that, despite the abundance of soft leaves perfect for dirty business, the bears choose Charmin. I love those little bears. -R

 
At 11:12 AM, November 11, 2005, Blogger bethany said...

those are some nice looking links. Glad you figured it out.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home